Friday, January 29, 2010

Reflections on 4 of the Time Magazine Articles - "Person of the Year" Section (Dec. 2006)

Time magazine articles that I have read this week are:
Time's Person of the Year: You!
The Beast with a Billion Eyes
Power to the People
My So-Called Second Life

In its December 2006 issue, Time magazine focused on the place of internet and cyberspace in human life. YouTube, Second Life, Wikipedia and Facebook are some of the virtual environments that are covered. Obviously, such virtual worlds have an important impact in people's lives. Nowadays most of the people don't think of a life without computer and internet. Why is internet so important? Because, it provides the most easiest and fastest way of communication.. And resources are endless.

I don’t blame people who really enjoy spending hours in different virtual worlds. Because it is interesting and attractive to observe other people’s lives/thoughts/ideas/emotions in the comfort of your home. For example, YouTube.com is the first address that I type in the address bar if I need to watch something/someone funny, learn a piece of software from an expert or see something about a country I wonder.

Although I am not a person who uploads something on YouTube, I am sure that the site is even more meaningful for people who like to share their talents, ideas, etc. with other people. For example it should be amazing to know the fact that anybody in the world can watch your video in which you sing a song with your beautiful voice.

Everybody has a different purpose on the internet. Time article “Power to the People” provides several examples of different uses of internet. A girl ‘signs in’ to share her emotions on YouTube, a boy likes to share the photos he takes in a photo sharing site called Flickr, another person interacts with old friends through a social networking site called Facebook, etc.
Internet has something for everybody’s taste and need. For me? Second Life doesn’t mean a lot since I have never used. But I know that I cannot live without the social networking site Facebook because it lets me stay updated with my friends, family and relatives who all live overseas…

No comments:

Post a Comment